CONGRATULATIONS TO THIS YEAR’S GRAND PRIZE WINNERS!
- First Place: Christina Haley Williams, 10th grade – Garner High School, Garner, NC | Why I Love Libraries & Its Impact In My Life
- Second Place and three-time winner: Alizdair Sebastien Ray, 9th grade – Cumberland International Early College, Hope Mills, NC | Today’s Libraries
- Third Place: Angelina Bayrak, 10th grade – Lake Norman High School, Mooresville, NC | The Life in Libraries
- Fourth Place and four-time winner: Sam Kostiuk, 9th Grade – Cherryville High School | My Library (video)
The grand prize winners will receive an all expense paid trip to Washington, D.C., May 6-8, 2018 to represent North Carolina libraries and meet with North Carolina’s members of Congress on Capitol Hill during National Library Legislative Day. This year’s grand prize winners were selected by a panel of seven judges representing all different types of North Carolina libraries including the State Librarian, the presidents of the North Carolina Library Association and the North Carolina School Library Media Association, faculty at UNCG, and public library directors.
Due to the high quality of the entries this year it was a very competitive process. In total, 13 library ambassadors were selected representing 7 of the 13 congressional districts in North Carolina. We are deeply appreciative of all the k-12 students who took the time to submit an entry into our program this year and your love and support for libraries will continue to help ensure they remain strong in North Carolina. All of this year’s ambassadors will also have a chance to meet with their members of Congress at their local office in North Carolina as well.
Congratulations to the full slate of NCLA 2017-2018 Student Library Ambassadors below organized by North Carolina Congressional District:
- Lance Williams, 7th grade – Bunn middle school (NC-02)
- Christina Haley Williams, 10th grade – Garner High School (NC-04) | View Essay
- Shreeya More, 8th grade – Salem Middle School (NC-04)
- Diya Rau, 9th grade – Athens Drive High School (NC-04)
- Constance Clemons, 3rd grade, Raleigh NC (NC-04)
- Courtney Gant, 9th grade – Alexander Early College (NC-05)
- Alizdair Sebastien Ray, 9th grade – Cumberland International Early College (NC-09) | View Essay
- Adrianna Nader, 5th grade – Sun Valley Elementary (NC-09)
- Sam Kostiuk, 9th Grade – Cherryville High School (NC-09) | View Video
- Hayla Smith, 5th grade – Smith Academy (homeschool) (NC-11)
- Angelina Bayrak, 10th grade – Lake Norman High School (NC-12) | View Essay
- Nivitha Mavuluri, South Iredell High School (NC-13)
- Siddharth Samal, 11th grade – Lake Norman High School (NC-13)
2017 Student Library Ambassador Program (Download program flyer)
Win a free trip to Washington, DC by showing your support for libraries!
The North Carolina Library Association is pleased to announce the fourth annual Student Library Ambassador program. This year we are seeking one k-12 student winner from each of North Carolina’s 13 congressional districts. The top three rated entries will win a free trip to Washington, D.C. and all 13 student ambassadors will receive a free t-shirt, framed certificate, be profiled on our website, and meet in person with both their members of congress at their local offices in North Carolina to discuss the importance of libraries. This year we are also opening it up to college students as well.
To enter, all you must do is show how much you love libraries and what effect it’s had on your life, any way you want—by essay, song, video, poem, interpretive dance, presentation, etc.—and submit your entry by mail, fax, or email by January 31, 2018.
Your submission should include an email with your creative work along with your name, grade or academic year in school/college, the name of the school/college, telephone, and mailing address. It also needs to address these three questions:
- Why are libraries important to you and your classmates?
- How have libraries impacted you personally?
- How are libraries important for the future of North Carolina?
Please submit your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail by no later than January 31, 2018 to:
2017 NCLA Student Library Ambassadors Program
North Carolina Library Association
1841 Capital Boulevard
Raleigh, NC, 27604-2144
Phone: (919) 839-6252
Fax: (919) 839-6253
For more information about the contest please visit nclibraryadvocacy.wordpress.com or contact:
For more information about the North Carolina Library Association contact President Michael Crumpton at email@example.com
Here’s a slideshow of previous winners: